This will be edited and added to as we get further prepared.
Policies and provisions absolutely make sure we’ve got sorted out before we go:
- Insurances, especially the MedJet equiv options.
- Canada Insurance card
- National Park Pass
- AAA coverage
- GPS map coverage – Incl. USA based traffic reports etc? Do we need to buy a USA based Zumo XT?
- Retracting lanyards for securing our bonus flag inside of jacket pockets / keys.
- First aid kit
- KEEP RIGHT —> Signage for windscreen
- <— KEEP LEFT Signage for preparation period in NZ
- Silver Fern or KIWI flag logos for our two NZ entries. – Not sponsorship logos, but similar to ‘Team Strange’ decals…
- Additional, unassociated credit cards.
Things to make sure we take with us or buy when we get there
- Multi board for power sockets in motels
- USA plug adapter piece for our 4 way USB charger (check voltage)
- Laptop power supply and dongle for SD Card etc.
- Tough Camera and charger / USB lead
- SD Cards for camera
- Pre-Printed Planning sheets
- Bonus Code, Distance, Arrival Time, Avg Speed
- Pre-Printed Bonus recording sheets and fuel records
- Clipboard or waterproof pouch for writing on and keeping bonus sheets dry. – Consider water proof paper for these.
- Safe and dry place for receipts
- Many small plastic bags – zip locks
- Several Pens
- Stylus for iphone on tether
Equipment for Bike:
- Hydration system
- USB charger for front
- USB charger for rear.
- Air horns?
- Radar detector?
- Bar lifters
- Throttle Lock
- Cramp buster
- LED headlights
- Seat – either my pad or a RDL
- ZUMO XT wiring harness and cradle.
- Printed XT locking piece
- Oregon GPS or second Zumo XT – Perhaps USA based, with traffic etc on it.
- Working TPMS – consider replacing these if not sure… But $$$$.
- iPhone mount, ram mount or Quad lock with induction charging system.
- Ram Mount mounting equipment.
- AirHawks x2 – front and rear.
- Spare set of tyres. Need to figure out how to get them to CP1 / CP2 depending on timing. If time to CP1 is longer than 79 hours, then assumed there might only be one CP.
Things to do at the hotel / briefing before the start or by asking Martin…
- Ensure we know the phone-in-bonus number and that it’s programmed into the phones – both of them.
- Determine if Stella can make the bonus calls?
Things to do at CheckPoint 1 / 2
- If not short on time on the way to the CP, fill up before you arrive.
- Replace tyres before retiring for the evening – (if they need it in CP1, otherwise wait until CP2). If needed replace at CP1, and order fresh set to be at CP2 when we arrive.
- Check oil.
- Fill up hydration bottle.
- Go for a walk and replenish snacks and drink supplies.
- Eat, Shower, Sleep
- Set alarm for briefing, jump out of bed. Have a coffee, this is going to be a long morning…
Things to do before leaving a Check Point
- Decide what photo bonuses / group bonuses we should attend. Ensure that we have a plan to get to these.
- Plan at least the following day, but ensure you have an overall high level plan / approach.
- Know when the phone in bonuses are, add them to the calendars, a written sheet, alarms etc. – Make sure Stella knows when these are – careful for timezone changes!!!
- Know which bonuses we’re likely to be between when they happen and script the call. – Send this in an email to ourselves.
- Cut / edit and paste from here:
- This is Chris and Stella Wiltshire, rider numbers # and # – our most recent captured bonus was XXXXX and we are heading for bonus XXXXXX. The time is now XX:XX hrs (TIMEZONE), and our ODO reading is currently XX,XXX – EDIT TO MAKE SURE THIS IS COMPLIANT.
- Cut / edit and paste from here:
Things to do when arriving at a Checkpoint, before scoring
- Copy all photos off SD Card onto Computer.
- Review all photos remaining on the SD Card, ensure that there is exactly one and only one photo for each checkpoint.
- Ensure that the correct SD Card holds the photos for that leg!
- Bonus sheet. – Check that all ODO readings are recorded, including those for any phone in bonus calls.
- For rest bonuses, check that rest start and rest end receipts are present and that the times are recorded properly.
- Use a spreadsheet to calculate the time difference for the rest bonus stopped-time, don’t attempt this in your head.
- Lock the SD Card before handing it in.
Things to take to scoring
- Camera and SD Card – Make sure the SD Card is locked before handing it over.
- Bonus log sheet.
- Paper map
- Bonus Book.
- Smile and good attitude. – Remember that even if points are left out on the road, we got to ride it! 🙂