Final days of prep before the TT and a weather update.
Update on the NZ weather:
Cyclone Gita is now considered a severe low depression now and is still carrying a lot of rain and high winds with it, but it’s cleared the North Island right now, and is heading through the South Island.
It’s Tuesday night, 9:30pm here now, and we’re due to leave home to travel down the country to our starting point on Thursday mid-day for a Friday mid-day rally start, the ride is between Friday noon and Sunday noon. We’re hoping to have completed our BB2500K or BB1500 by midnight on Saturday night.
Oddly, the weather behind the depression is looking really good, so we’re hopeful for a really clear ride on the North Island. – I think the South Island rally riders will perhaps find slips etc creating issues with quite a few of the roads down there. – They’re getting a snow dumping on the highlands tonight due to the amount of air and weather which has been sucked up from the South Pole by Gita. – VERY unusual for mid-feb. – That’s the equivalent of the northern hemisphere getting snow in August!! Mad.
The last sets of bad weather has closed the State Highway between Kawakawa and Paihia, which means we need to re-route around a detour (longer), and it’s going to need our fuel planning to change too. So, I’m now onto our 11th version of the route planning sheet. – I’m hoping to get that finished tonight.
I’ve been charging all of my electronics today, and trying to get all of our final paperwork for rally scoring etc printed and readied and packed into water proof bags. I’m finalising my packing list, which I’ll be using tomorrow night to pack everything into the various bags on my bike.
I’ll be taking a rucksack down to Wanganui on my back, for the ride I’ll leave that down there and rely only on the tank bag and my rear pack bag. Nigel has adequate panniers and storage for extras like 5L fuel cans etc. 🙂
Some links for those who might want to track us as we ride round:
- The most recent version of our route map within Google Maps (this is version 11, but it’s close enough). https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PFxREAJAn4kXZCjG9Dtvrcu-SQOT6AVS&usp=sharing
- The ‘Raah’ tracking link, this will always show the most recent route being tracked, including the current route when it’s being tracked live. – This *may* break my route into a couple of tracks in which case you may only see, say, the second half of it, depending upon how well my settings work in the app. https://goo.gl/KqDYsg
- A link to SPOTWALLA which will track our entire outing, down to the TT and back: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=17be45a8be4f467e33
- A link to SPOTWALLA which we will be using to officially track the route for IBA ride verification, this is a sub-set of the whole track, it’s limited to the window in which we’ll be attempting the IBA rides: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=17be55a8be6508b3f1
- Our fundraiser link: https://givealittle.co.nz/fundraiser/bun-burner-for-aran-animal-rescue
- And below, is an embedded view of the SPOTWALLA tracking of the entire thing – all of the tracking links should become active while we’re doing it, don’t expect them to show anything until Thursday or Friday, depending on which one you’re looking at.